Social media and the internet can be a lot of fun, but we need to use it safely. Here are some basic tips.
- At home, make sure your network is encrypted. If there is no password to get onto your wifi, anyone can see what you are doing
- Always, Always, Always ask a parent before making a purchase online. If your parent allows this, make sure that the site has a secure payment system
- If you get a message or an email that offers you something for free, do not trust it. If you are on a home computer (PC or MAC) you can use your mouse to hover over a link to see where the website link is really from.
- Do not forward inappropriate images or photos.
- Do not meet up with "internet" friends. If you want to meet up with friends, make sure that they are people that you would normally meet up with.
- Show your parents websites like https://www.commonsensemedia.org/ to help them learn about your concerns on social media.
- Do not share your passwords with your friends. A lot of tweens change friends more quickly than they change their passwords!